101 SEO Tips
We’re committed to sharing the best SEO information we can, so if you find this post valuable we would really appreciate you sharing it with others.
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to our regular SEO tips and SEO experiment posts by submitting your email address in the box to the right of this page.
Getting the SEO basics right before you start.
1. Plan your site architecture before you publish your website/blog.
2. Invest sufficient time into effective keyword research for every page on your site. This is the foundation to any successful SEO campaign.
4. Use Google predictive search results for new keyword ideas.
5. Analyze keyword competitiveness in order to plan which keywords to prioritize at the start of a SEO campaign.
6. Use the external AdWords keyword tool to identify keyword opportunities based on your websites content/relevance.
7. Choose whether you intend to optimize the www. or non www. version of your website and stick with it.
8. Create and verify a Google webmaster tools account as it’s a vital SEO tool.
9. Use the geotargetting feature within Google webmaster tools to focus on your geographical target market.
10. Install Google analytics to allow you to make better informed SEO decisions.
11. Annotate your activities within your Analytics account to help you know what has previously worked for future campaigns/strategies.
SEO Domain and Web Hosting Tips
12. Choose a domain name with your targeted keywords within it if you feel it is applicable to your brand strategy.
13. Choose a country specific domain extension if your target market isn’t global.
14. Choose a web host with reliable uptime stats and a reputable IP range.
15. Host your website in the same country as your core target market.
16. Register your domain name for the maximum time period.
17. Choose a dedicated IP address for your domain to help avoid questionable behaviour of your hosting “neighbours”.
18. Do not hide your whois registration details.
19. Never let your domain drop – the age of your domain is a positive factor in search engine ranking.
SEO Design Tips
20. Improve the page load time on your site for both user experience and SEO benefits.
21. Use clean code (W3C) for indexing and page speed load time benefits.
22. Use targeted keywords in the urls you choose for your web pages (e.g. mydomain.com/my-keyword).
SEO Accessibility Tips
23. Create an XML sitemap and upload it to Google webmaster tools.
24. Create a static sitemap page for visitors and search engine bots.
25. Use the NODIR / Yahoo Dir meta tag to avoid Google displaying this within the search results by default.
26. Upload a robots.txt file to tell search engines what they can and can’t index.
27. Always set up 301 redirects for renamed or deleted pages. – Never, ever, delete a 301 redirect.
28. Don’t use Frames as it makes it difficult to properly index your site.
29. Create a unique, usable, and potentially linkbait worthy 404 (error) page.
30. Use a breadcrumb navigation structure on your site if applicable.
31. Don’t rely solely on Flash and try to offer HTML alternatives where you can.
32. Check and fix broken links regularly to allow your site to be indexed effectively.
33. Don’t offer a greater presence/prominence for adverts over content, as this can be seen as a reflection of poor content.
Social Marketing SEO Tips
34. Integrate “Share this” functionality on your site to help increase viral traffic and increase social ranking indicators.
35. Use blog commenting to get links. However, don’t comment just for the link. Contribute value to blog posts.
36. Create a Twitter profile to share content and develop your online network.
37. Create a Facebook presence to develop brand advocates.
38. Optimize your Google Plus account for self-branding and link building benefits within the search engines.
39. Set up a Linkedin Group/Page to find people of similar interest to your business or website.
40. Use Stumbleupon, Digg, Reddit, and Delicious to help your site reach a larger audience through social marketing at no cost.
41. Add the Google +1 button to your web pages to help improve search engine rankings and click through rates.
42. Create a Youtube channel to develop a video marketing strategy.
43. Use Yahoo Answers and Quora to gain reputation and inbound links.
44. Guest Post on other related websites in your niche to develop your reputation and gain inbound links.
SEO Link Building Tips
45. Ask your clients and suppliers to add your site to theirs as a free way of generating inbound links.
46. Submit your website to relevant free directories.
47. Conduct article marketing to develop inbound links from article directory websites.
48. Submit your website to the DMOZ.
49. Submit your websites’ RSS feed to free RSS aggregators to gain inbound links and help new pages become indexed within the search results very quickly.
50. Submit to paid directories such as Yahoo Dir and Business.com if you have a substantial SEO budget.
51. Use press releases to generate buzz and gather inbound links for trusted editorial sources.
52. Effectively use signature links within the forums which you participate in.
53. Use targeted anchor text which contains the keywords you are attempting to rank for within inbound links.
54. Understand what page rank is and why you should not obsess with this number.
55. Link to quality sites from your own web pages wherever you feel is appropriate and offers your visitors value.
56. Source links from .edu and .gov domains. They are usually a trusted source but not just because of the extension.
57. Find “page not found” errors in webmaster tools and redirect inbound links which are going to 404 error pages.
58. Focus on developing links from pages with content related to the terms you are optimising.
59. Develop link bait campaigns and strategies which can drive a lot of inbound links to your website.
60. Analyze competitor inbound links to identify inbound link opportunities which you can source.
SEO URL Structure Tips
61. Use non-malformed urls to avoid indexing issues and increase CTRs by displaying “clean” urls within search results.
62. Use canonical url tags to avoid duplicate content within the search engines.
63. Use dashes instead of underscores within your urls for SEO benefit.
On Page SEO Tips
64. Create unique title tags to target the keywords you are attempting to rank each page of your site for.
65. Optimize your meta description tags to make them as persuasive as possible to encourage higher CTRs.
66. Use your H tags to provide a consistent hierarchical design and SEO structure on your web pages.
67. Add your targeted keywords as ALT Tags on images where appropriate.
68. Use targeted keywords in your image names where appropriate.
69. Create a balanced targeted keyword density on your pages.
70. Use anchor text which contains targeted keywords when interlinking pages within your website.
71. Write content for your visitors not for search engines algorithms. Avoid overusing keywords and ensure your copywriting remains professional.
72. Use nofollow tags on your own site links where applicable.
73. Add a bold effect on keywords you wish to rank but don’t go overboard on this.
74. Use your company address within the footer of your web pages for Local SEO benefits.
75. Publish unique content only on your website to avoid “Google Panda” penalties.
76. Reduce web page bounce rates. Bounce rates will be (if they aren’t already) a factor within search engine ranking.
77. Create unique pages for keyword groups you are optimising for. Don’t try to optimize one page for too many terms.
78. Optimize the first 50 keywords of each page with your targeted keyword phrases.
79. Encourage user generated content to be added to your pages (comments for blogs and reviews for products/services).
80. Remove low value internal links from your best ranked pages.
81. Use your website’s design to take advantage of Google Instant preview.
82. Use both onpage and offpage SEO campaigns to target semantically related terms to your core keyword groups.
83. Include terms and conditions & privacy information on your site whenever applicable.
SEO Tips to make the Search Engine Results work for you
84. Do not use blackhat techniques such as hidden text, door way pages, and keyword stuffing.
85. Optimize your site and other pages for the purpose of reputation management within search engine results.
86. Get spammy sites removed from the search results by informing Google.
87. If you ever get banned from the search index – fix the issues and submit a reconsideration request with Google.
SEO Tips for tracking your progress
88. Track your keyword positions within the search engines to allow you to strategize your SEO efforts effectively.
89. Track your own inbound links to provide you with visualisation of link building campaign success.
90. Use the “search queries” report within Google webmaster tools to help optimize for higher click through rates within the organic search results.
SEO Tips for a greater share of voice in Google
91. Optimize your products for Google shopping results if applicable.
92. Create and optimize a local business listing within Google places if applicable.
93. Optimize your site for the Google News results if applicable.
94. Develop and optimize localized/language variations of your website if applicable.
Ongoing SEO Tips
95. Take control of what sitelinks are displayed within the search results for your pages with Google webmaster tools.
96. Set up Google alerts for your own and competitors’ brands for reputation management and link sourcing purposes.
97. Make sure your PPC activities to feed directly into your SEO strategy.
98. Don’t ignore Bing when you are optimizing your website – its market share is growing!
99. Revisit pages you have already optimized to find new opportunities.
100. Follow industry experts to keep in touch with how SEO is evolving.
101(ish). Please comment below to add SEO tip “101”